Monday, October 18, 2010

Green Pepper Chicken


I have to say what I said in the earlier post, ( that I am  the only cook in my house )  is only partially true. These days I get not many chance to cook chicken, especially Kerala's very own chicken curry. Because Sterly has taken up the task of making  chicken curry. This practice all got started to pamper his pregnant wife...but don't misunderstand ..here pampering does not mean making dishes  which I was craving for but sympathetically sparing me from the toil of cooking something that I wouldn't eat.. He cooks chicken and only chicken because he is a die hard fan of chicken.Once upon a time  I  too had been but gave up eating poultry and meat many years back. So I haven't got a chance to taste his recipe ..yes..of course he had fried fishes n made omelets occasionally in the past ...but nowdays i don't get any. How ever if chicken has to take a form other than usual chicken curry I am sure to lay my hands on it.
Thus last week I decided to surprise my hubby by making something different than usual and pulled out the single boneless thigh of chicken that was left in the freezer. I had some green peppers also which i had to use somewhere . But I didn't want to go for Chinese since we have had enough of it the previous week. Hence this green pepper chicken recipe was cooked up in my mind instantly  and chicken was made accordingly. For this chicken is cooked and striped off in to long thin strands. When a small girl I loved to watch Amma tearing  off cooked chicken so as to add up with the mixed  fried rice and I used to even plead to do it myself. When ever she let me do  I simply felt so happy thinking I have made a significant contribution in the making of fried rice. 
My hubby loved my Green pepper chicken but I have no idea how other chicken lovers would count it.
please try this out and let me know how you liked it.

Ingredients 
  1. onion- 1 small  thinly  sliced
  2. green pepper - 1( medium) cut in to long thin slices
  3. ginger chopped- 1 tb.sp 
  4. garlic chopped- 1 tb.sp
  5. black pepper powder- 1 tb.sp
  6. green chilli- 2
  7. coriander powder- 1.1/2 tb.sp
  8. vinegar- 1 tb.sp
  9. curry leaves- 10
  10. salt- as required

11. boneless chicken  cooked and striped in to long strands - 2 cups. (if u are using chicken  with bones simply discard the bones)
oil- as required


Method

1. Heat a thick bottomed pan on the stove. pour some oil and when sufficiently hot  stir fry onions, ginger and garlic until they turn golden brown.
2.  Add  coriander powder, pepper powder, salt and vinegar one by one.
3. As the spices gets cooked up add green pepper and chicken. stir well. close the lid for 5 minutes.
4. Now add chillies and curry leaves....stir fry on high flame until the chicken is dry.
5. Garnish with tomatoes.


Green pepper chicken
note-  while cooking the chicken add some salt and pepper. if u have any gravy  left pour it in to the pan along with the green peppers n chicken strands, ie, during the 3rd step.

2 comments:

അക്ഷരപകര്‍ച്ചകള്‍. said...

Good that you post such recepies dear. This kind chicken ie without gravy I used to make, but instead of pepper I use kashmiri chilly which is less spicy and good for my child too. So the same item will have red colour when I make. One doubt, the green chilly u mention here is the capsicum only, right?? Me and my daugter love it b'coz it's less spicy. We have tried it with bread also. Do share more recepies.

Maya Sterly said...

thanku..Ambily.....I have used green chillies n green peppers in this recipe. Green pepper is other name for capsicum:)